Saturday, January 23, 2016

Anatomy of Type

Just like people, type comes in all different shapes, sizes, colors, and personalities. "Handglovery" shows the different anatomy of letters. This can change depending on what font is used or whether it is upper case or lower case. Vocabulary like Crossbar and Serif are shown in the picture. It is interesting to learn in depth what makes up letters.

After learning a little bit about the anatomy of type, we had the opportunity to identify the parts of each letter in our own name. I used the font Plantno Linotype, which was just a basic font offered in Adobe Illustrator. The font that is used affects type anatomy. For example: If I chose a sans-serif font, I would not have the little lines at the end of each letter or at the end of a line in the letter (which is what a serif is). We learned not only parts of letters, but also lines where the letters fall. Like the base line, descender line, and cap height line, which are all illustrated in the picture I constructed. 

I am becoming more familiar with Adobe Illustrator, but some concepts and buttons are still confusing to me. I am enjoying graphic design very much still, and I wonder what concepts we will learn next on top of color and type.

No comments:

Post a Comment