Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Updated Index Page

We thought that our web index pages that displayed our web work needed a facelift. To redo my index page, I used a web template provided my Dream Weaver. This template looked very professional, clean, and was complete. All I had to do was insert all of my content and create a color scheme. This made creating a website much faster and look much more professional.

This is what my web index page looked like before the makeover. I designed it by myself (with out a web template). I liked the color scheme that I had before, so I tried to incorporate a similar one in my new index page.









This is what my updated index page looks like. It has a similar color scheme as my old index page, but I did not set a photo as the background in the new one. A big difference is the layout. Each website displayed is inside a thumbnail. In addition, each website has a short description of what the website is about. To check out the website, instead of clicking on a boring text link, a screen shot of the website is the link. Another different in the new index page is the "Email" button at the bottom that allows someone to click it and it takes the person directly to my email.

 The web template has responsive design incorporated into it. This made it extremely simple to have a website that would look good at any device size. This is how the layout was spaced out on a cell phone. Something I like about it is how each thumbnail occupies the whole screen as seen to the right. This looks very clean and makes content simple to read. This is what my index page looks like on an iPhone 5.





Creating a website from a template is very beneficial. It is much faster, easier, professional looking, and versatile. However, it isn't guaranteed that the website will be perfect. For example, the layout had a problem at a certain screen size that jumbled up the thumbnails. I couldn't figure out how to completely fix this. In addition, following a web template guarantees that there is another website that looks very similar. This is bad because originality is important, and it's boring for many people to have the same website. However, you can always change the CSS and HTML to personalize it.

I doubt that many web designers create websites completely from scratch because it is much more efficient to adjust certain aspects rather than starting everything from scratch.

Check out my new index page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment