Thursday, March 9, 2017

Quotes & Fonts

Fonts are more important than you might think. They evoke different emotions and can tell stories. Fonts can be serif, sans serif, bold, italicized, thick, thin, big, small, swirly, boxy, welcoming and cautioning. To explore these different characteristics, I made four aesthetically pleasing typed out quotes. First, I thought of quotes that I had a connection to. I wanted my quotes to promote positivity and happiness. After I found my perfect four quotes, I started sketching out my designs, and then I started creating them in Adobe Illustrator. 


I chose this quote because it promotes positivity through a play on words. I wanted my quote to look happy, so I used a welcoming font for everything but the ‘B’ in ‘Be’ and the ‘t’/+, which I used a bold font for. I wanted the ‘t’ to look like a plus sign because it’s positive. First, I made it in black and white- as I did for all of my quotes- and then I added a color scheme. I made words having to do with blood red, and I made the rest white, so they popped on the dark blue background. I used red because, of course, blood is red. 




This quote connects to me because I play the flute, and I enjoy music. I think that this is a cute quote, and it went along with my quote scheme. I wanted to make this quote classy because when I think of music, I think of classical music.  I made words having to do with music, a cursive font, and I also made them the same purple color. All of the other words I used a simple, serif font, which I made the same blue color. I thought that the light blue and purple looked nice together, but as I found out later, there was a better color combination. I made the stem of the ascender of the 'h' into a music note likewise to the descender os the 'y'. I made a swirly measure of music coming off of the 'n' in 'note'.


I like this quote because I think that everyone should embrace their differences. I used simple fonts for everything except for ‘limited edition’, which I used a fancy, cursive font for. I also made the tittle (the dots) of the‘i’s into stars to make it seem good and special. I reflected the ‘r’ in weird to make it look weird. I wanted to make 'weird' look unattractive; I don't think that dark green is the prettiest color, so I chose it. I made 'limited edition' light blue because blue symbolizes purity and goodness. I decided to place my quote in a circle because it brought it all together, and I chose a deep purple for the background color. Now that I look at my color scheme, I don't like the color combination that much. 



This quote is very optimistic. I wanted to portray it in a positive way. I thought that a lot of the words could be represented in different ways. I used a font with arrows to represent direction words. For sun, I used a bubbly font and made rays of sun shine come off of it. For shadow, I used a font that had a shadow. I made the direction words a teal color, the sun yellow (of course), the shadow dark purple, and everything else pink. 





I got to present my quotes to my graphic design class, and they gave me feedback. They said that I could adjust some of my colors. Luckily, our next step in producing our quotes was to recolor them with different color schemes: Triad, monochromatic, primary, and complementary. 


I completely remodeled this quote because I thought I could make it better. My quote is a pun about blood, so I put my quote in a blood drop, and I used a red monochromatic color scheme to represent blood. I like the way it turned out, in this creation, a lot more.








I recolored this quote in a complementary color scheme. The colors really pop together.











This is my triad color scheme. I like how the colors look off of each other a lot more in this creation. However, now that I look at it, I should have made 'weird' in the color I used for 'limited edition' (and vice versa) because green isn't an as attractive color, and gold is like royalty.






I recolored this quote in a primary scheme because of the yellow in the sun. I kept the direction words blue, but in a different shade, and I changed the pink to red. I also added arrows coming off of the direction words to create an enclosure around my quote. 







This is what my four quotes would look like up on a wall. They all go together because they are quotes about positivity. Although they don't have the same colors, the color schemes work well together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment