Thursday, February 2, 2017

Nelson Exhibit

To continue on our education of our topics, we pretended that the Nelson was hosting our artist/ movement's work through a new exhibit. After we learned about the fundamentals and psychology of posters, we were introduced to our new challenge: creating a poster advertising our artist or movement at the Nelson.

Luckily, I had already attained a substantial amount of information about Milton Glaser through previous assignments, so I did not have to spend a lot of time researching. I knew that before I did anything, I needed to get some inspiration, so I searched for Milton Glaser art. As I expected, a lot of what appeared was Glaser's iconic swirls. I knew that I wanted to incorporate swirls in my poster. I
also knew that I wanted to include a shuttlecock because the art museum has giant shuttlecocks out side of it.

I started off by sketching 20 sketches of what my poster could possibly look like. Through the first half of designing my posters, I was on a roll, but after that I started running out of ideas. Many of of my possibilities included swirls and shuttlecocks. I also had some with simple pops of shapes, the silhouette of Glaser's face, and the Nelson building. Looking at all of my roughdrafts, it was hard to choose just one. I finally decided that I would go with the coclorful swirls as the shuttcock with hands holding it.

I thought that creating this poster would be super fast, but it actually went to the last minute to make. I mainly created my poster by using the pen tool to trace out the shuttlecock and the hand. I did this in great detail. Afterwards I started making my swirls. I initially used the swirl tool, but after a long time I decided against it because they werent turning out the way I wanted them to. Instead, I used the pentool to draw them out myself. After I had my swirls, I chose bright colors and filled them in. Next, I used path finder to put my swirls "inside" of my shuttlecock. Lastly, I chose a black background and placed my graphics on top, along with the text.

I am very happy wiht how my poster turned out. I think that it reflects Milton Glaser's work, and I might even consider it to be my best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment